Wednesday 17 August 2011

Letter writing -- Write a letter to your elder brother from the town in which you have just joined a new appointment describing the interesting features of the town, of the people with whom you are associated and of the work you are required to do.


13, Nicholson Road,
Ludhiana,
June 25, 2010
My dear Brother,
I was right glad to receive your letter and learn that everyone was doing well at home. You have asked me to give you a description of the town I live in, and I readily comply with your wished. I am sure the description will make you like the place and fill you with a longing to see it.
The town possesses many interesting features. It is a big trade center. There are four cloth mills here, which supply cloth to the whole state. There is a big cloth market where you can buy cloth of any design you like. People, from neighbouring villages flock here to buy cloths. There are four High Schools – one is a Government school, another is managed by local Sanatan dharma Sabha, while the third is a Jat school. The fourth is a Mission High School. It is run by Christian missionaries belonging to the Presbytetian Church of America. It is in a very flourishing condition and has seven hundred students on it rolls. There is also a Technical College where industries as leather, cloth, carpentry, smith’s work, painting and dyeing are taught to the students. There are two female hospitals where thousands of patients are treated every month. Besides these, there is a charitable eye hospital, supervised by an eminent doctor of state reputation. During the months of October and November, thousands of patients are admitted in the hospital. But the most interesting feature of the town is its magnificent temples where hymns are sung and cymbals are clashed morning and evening,
The people here are nice. They are honest, straightforward and hard working. They are not addicted to any such vices as drinking and gambling. They earn their living honestly and pass their time in healthy amusements. All my colleagues are very sympathetic towards me and help me whenever I require help. They point put to me pitfalls into which I may fall. The Headmaster is a thorough gentleman and takes keen interest in the welfare of the students and institution. He is very kind and sympathetic to all.
The work that I am required to do is to my taste and congenial. In the school I teach English and Mathematics for about three hours and return home at half-past eleven. For the rest of the day I am free. The students are fairly intelligent; they take interest in their studies and follow easily what I teach them.
I hope you are keeping fit.
With best wishes,
I remain,
Yours affectionately,
XYZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment